- Game Designer: Jessica Vannasdall
- Content Area: History, Social Studies
- Recommended Ages: Elementary, Middle Grades
- Ideal Group Size: Whole Class
- Suggested Time: 45 minutes
Diego has been traveling along El Camino Real for several months. He has faced the hardships of hunger, cold, bad weather and animal encounters. Staying now at Santa Barbara mission, he needs to find the strength to continue his journey to the northernmost missions. Unfortunately, the only map to the northern missions was mistakenly locked in the box of important mission documents. Although the map is rightfully his, he knows that the mission elders would not want him poking around in the box. Unlocking the box will not only give Diego the map that he needs, but also the courage to go forward. He only has 45 minutes before someone realizes the box is gone. Help Diego break into the box to get the map and the courage to finish the trail.
3-DIGIT LOCK = 4-9-8
4-DIGIT LOCK = 1-7-7-0
ABC MULTILOCK = B-E-L-L-S
DIRECTIONAL MULTILOCK = UP-DOWN-DOWN-UP (Use blank from ABC lock for last spot)
1. Print the needed materials:
- Mission Letter - print and cut into pieces along the dotted lines
- Spanish Mission Map - Print
- Carmel Clue - print and glue front and back together
- Bionicle Cipher - print and cut out
- Mission Photos - print out in color and cut out - don’t include name - use invisible ink to write the number 4 (on San Juan Capistrano) 9 (on Santa Barbara) and 8 (on Santa Clara) on the front of the mission.
- Mission Blank Flow Map - Print and either hide with mission photos or on its own
- QR Code Riddle - Print
- Students’ Favorite Missions - Print
2. Put Bionicle Cypher in 3-digit lock box
Set lock to 4 - 9 - 8
3. Put blacklight in small box with 4 digit lock set to 1 - 7 - 7 - 0
4. Set letter lock to B - E - L - L - S and lock it on the hasp on the large lock box.
5. Set directional lock to Up, Down, Down, Up and put it on the hasp on the large lock box.
6. Hide - pieces of the letter (easy spots - visible)
7. Hide - QR Code - (easy spots - visible)
8. Hide - Carmel Riddle (easy spots - visible)
9. Post - Students’ Favorite Missions
10. Hide - 3 photos of missions and the flow map (easy spots - visible) * You could put all of these in an envelope and hide that.
11. Tape the key to the keylock under the trash can
12. Lock the key lock on the hasp on the large lock box
Email email@example.com if you have any questions.
History, Social Studies